Significant Points of Interests In the French Quarter Colonial Map of 1811
31. PLACE DE’ ARMS – The historic heart of New Orleans. This was the original city square – surrounded by the Church and government buildings. It was the original parading grounds. Also public punishments, including burning at the stake and hangings were carried out here. In 1851 it was renamed Andrew Jackson Square.
29. ST. LOUIS CATHEDRAL – Built in 1721. This present building is the third church to occupy this spot. During the French and Spanish periods, it was both the main house of worship and the political center of power. The Catholic Church was a major participant in the buying and selling of enslaved Africans and an oppressor of women. Catholic priests blessed and approved the slaughter of the 1811 martyrs and others like San Malo who fought for freedom.
28. THE CABILDO – Built in 1799 to house the Spanish colonial government, the Cabildo later served as City Hall and was the site where the Louisiana Purchase was formalized in 1803. The buying and selling of slaves took place here. This was one of the targets Deslondes and his comrades attempted to capture.
30. THE PRESBYTERE – Designed in 1791 as a residence for the priests of neighboring St. Louis Cathedral, this Spanish Colonial building houses the State Museum’s collection of paintings and portraiture, decorative art and historic photographs. Priests owned African female teenagers here.
21. WILLIAM C. C. CLAIBORNE OFFICE – William C.C. Claiborne was the colonial governor and the first elected governor of Louisiana when it became a state in 1812. It was Claiborne (the longest street in New Orleans is named for him), who ordered troops to put down the slave revolt of 1811. He imposed curfews on slaves within the city during the uprising. He ordered the slaves’ heads to be cut off and placed on pikes along the river road leading from LaPlace to New Orleans. This was one of the targets of the revolt.
47. FORT ST. CHARLES – This was another target of the revolt that the rebels sought to capture to emancipate themselves.
24. FORT ST. FERDINAND (CONGO SQUARE) – This square located in present day Louis Armstrong Park was originally called Fort St. Ferdinand, one of the five forts on the outskirts of the old French Quarter. It was here that many of the slave rebels of the 1811 revolt were executed. This ground then is sacred ground not only because it was a gathering place for the Africans in the later periods of slavery but most importantly for us the blood of our martyrs was shed here.